Do you know how many types of exercises there are? There’re so many types of fitness exercises, Zumba is one of them, and it’s one of the most popular group exercises. Want to know why?
Zumba is Fun, Blast, and Fitness in Disguise!
Well, what is Zumba dance fitness in reality? Let’s understand
What is Zumba?
Zumba was made incorporating many Latin Dances and aerobics like merengue, salsa, cumbia, reggaeton, samba, mambo, chachacha, flamenco, belly, martial arts, etc.
Thus, Zumba is a combination of many fun dance forms, in which every form is unique. Sometimes many people think about how it was started, and how people became so aware of it. Well, everything takes time, and everything starts from somewhere. So, as with it.
Who invented Zumba?
Zumba dance and fitness program was invented by Colombian dancer and choreographer Alberto Beto Perez. Alberto invented Zumba during the 1990s. At present, It has become one of the world’s most trendy workouts across the globe. It is estimated that approximately 14 million people all over the world take weekly Zumba Dance Fitness Classes. These people come from 1,40,000 different locations from 150+ countries.
What is Zumba dance fitness?
Zumba combines high energy and motivating music with unique moves and combinations. It allows participants to get rid of their worries. It is a workout that’s based on “Fun and Easy to do”. If anyone is sticking with the Zumba dance fitness program then he/she will achieve long-term health benefits. It is a mixture of body sculpting movement with easy to follow dance steps.
As we’ve mentioned, it is a dance and fitness program. It involves many Latin dances and aerobic elements. Its sessions are typically 1 hour long. These sessions are being taken by licensed instructors from Zumba International Network (ZIN). In a particular Zumba session, after 5 minutes of body warm-up, 40-45 minutes of different types of Latin dancing are done. At the last, it is concluded with 5 minutes of a cool down in which stretching exercises are performed.
Designed with a combination of salsa and aerobics, there is no right or wrong way to perform Zumba dance fitness exercises. If you’re moving to the beat of the music, then it’s enough, you’re participating in the exercise. These movements are being done with the help of the entire body, from arms to your feet, so after performing them, you’ll get a full-body workout.
How to do Zumba at home?
Many of us prefer to exercise at home, is this right? Well, without the instructions if you perform any type of fitness technique, you might get into trouble. But, if you’ll do it with the instructions provided by your instructor, then you’re on the safe side to perform any kind of exercise. There are plenty of videos available online where you can learn the basics of it. We’re providing some of the steps for doing it at home. 3 steps are the most famous in it, you can start there:
Most Common Steps in Zumba
- Merengue Steps: – Step on the beat and shift your hips with stepping.
- Reggaeton Steps: – This is the next step, slightly more difficult than the first but the most important to increase your heart rate and burn calories. In this exercise jumps, and lifting of knees are included.
- Salsa Steps: – This is done for flexibility and co-ordinations. In the Salsa steps, movements of the hips are the most important. Get your hips moving with the salsa dance steps?
Thus, these are the 3 most popular steps to do it at home, but there are some precautions that you can take we’ll be discussing here:
Precautions Before starting Zumba
Before getting started at home, you should do these things
- Talk to the doctor: – It’s always good to know that you are fit in any way to perform Zumba dance fitness. It is a great fitness exercise for beginners. But talking to a doctor is a security step we can take to avoid any kind of hazards and to stay safe and healthy. In this way, you get to know when to stop the fitness exercise or seek medical attention.
- First, learn it from somewhere: – You can see online videos available on any platform by its masters. This is the first thing you can do or you can ask any of your friends who are taking Zumba classes to work out with you. It’ll motivate you, and make you accountable. But I would suggest you join Fitness and More studio in Gurgaon whether online or offline. After learning it from a true practitioner of it, you can perform it at home.
- Wear Loose and Comfortable Clothes: – Wear comfy loose clothes so that you can shake your body with no effort. You may use leggings, yoga pants, t-shirts, sports bras, and comfortable sneakers.
4 Steps of Developing Your Zumba Dance Fitness Routine
- Workout for 30-90 minutes: – It is aforementioned that most of the sessions are around 1 hour long. Set the duration from 30 minutes to 90 minutes according to your overall fitness level.
- Get Trained: – We’ve included that you should get trained before performing any kind of exercise. Under the guidance of a trainer, you can develop a good fitness plan for yourself. Fitness and More will provide you with the best top class fitness instructor if you want to take a world-class Fitness experience.
- Dance in Front of the Mirror: – Dancing in front of a mirror can help you dictate your mistakes in the steps of Zumba dance fitness. This is why every gym has a gigantic mirror. Improve yourself day by day with the help of this method. You’re performing a session at home so you don’t have any trainer to dictate your wrong steps, you’ll have to do it by yourself.
- Incorporate Different Zumba Dance Fitness Moves: – We’ve described different types of Zumba dance moves, you can incorporate them in this section, and you’ll have a full-fledged Zumba dance fitness routine. You can include the aforementioned 3 most common steps in it, and complete your routine. These three steps include Merengue Steps, Reggaeton Steps, and salsa steps. These steps include different types of moves from head to toe like shaking your hips, lifting and moving arms etc.
Well, we’ve discussed, so many things here, but still the most important thing remains. Why should we take Zumba Dance Fitness Exercise seriously? How can it impact our lives?
What are the benefits of Zumba?
Well, as we all know it is a whole-body workout, so there are so many benefits incorporated into it. Some of the benefits are the following:
- Can help you in losing Weight: – Everyone dreams of having a slim and muscular body, but because of unhealthy habits, we make ourselves so heavy. Here Zumba comes to make and keep you in shape. It is a cardiovascular workout that alternates between moderate and high intensity which means it is great for loss because it burns so many calories. 1 hour of a Zumba session can burn up to 600-1000 calories, and the most important part is you feel fun. A good diet plan with fewer calories will also help you, here in our fitness and boutique studio we provide a proper diet plan for whoever needs it.
- Improves Balance and Flexibility: – As we have discussed that Zumba is a workout for our whole body, including head to toe. Therefore 5 times a week of Zumba sessions will keep you balanced and increase flexibility.
- Boosts your heart health: – As we know now that it was designed with a combination of Salsa and Aerobics so you’ll not only get aerobic benefits but also anaerobic benefits. It will help you in maintaining a good cardiovascular respiratory system.
- Removes stress and improves coordination: – Zumba is an exercise made of different dance forms, and in this, we turned your attention to dance as a great way to relieve stress as dancing in the form of meditation. Our arms and legs generally move in different directions. To do this we need a good deal of coordination. Thus, it helps relieve stress and improve coordination
- Make you happy: – everyone aims to be happy, this not only improves your physical fitness but also improves your mental well-being. Being a dance, whenever we exercise, we release endorphins that trigger positive feelings throughout the body, so it will make us happy. Don’t you want to be happy? If yes, then go for it, Join the Fitness and More Fitness Studio.
How to become a Zumba instructor?
Let’s have a look at the ways to get Zumba training certification:
If you want to teach regular classes, you should begin with Basics. After taking the basic course, other courses can be taken to certify for specialities such as Zumbini, Zumba Toning, Aqua Zumba or Strong. When you have training in these kinds of classes, it gives you a level up on the competition. Some gyms find that classes like Strong are in high demand, but they need instructors who can teach the high-intensity interval-training workout. Your certification and expertise in Strong could be very valuable.
No matter what you decide, training toward certification only takes a day. When you go to the Zumba website, you will find numerous days, times, and locations for certification classes. Each training is led by a Zumba Education Specialist (ZES™).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 Can I do Zumba every day?
Ans. Yes, it can be done every day. It is usually a 45 min dance session with a 15 mins cool-down period.
Q.2 Do I need to bring anything with me?
Ans. Make sure you have plenty of water before class, during, and afterwards as you are going to sweat, a lot. It is also a good idea to bring a sweat towel, but apart from that just yourself and a smile.
Q.3 I haven’t exercised in a long time. Can I still attend?
Ans. Yes, of course, you have to start somewhere. People of all fitness levels attend Zumba classes. You can keep all the moves low and won’t be forced to take the high-intensity option.
Q.4 Will I lose weight doing Zumba?
Ans. If you follow a healthy eating plan and attend at least two classes a week, you will definitely lose weight.