How to lose weight without exercise?
Something must have made someone start thinking of losing weight in the first place.
Don’t you think so? I know you do.
If my assumption is right which I believe it is, what possibly could be your thought then? Let me guess;
Your thought of what will make one start thinking of losing weight is excess weight. yeah, I caught you right there because I am right.
Let’s now quickly find out what excess weight means
What is excess weight?
Excess weight simply means having a weight that is bigger than what normal body weight is supposed to be.
Generally, excess weight is caused by extra body fat.
In addition to that, more bone, muscle or water can also lead to excess weight.
Hold on a minute…
I perceive you are thinking about what normal body weight should be and how to know when you have excess weight.
Let me clear your thoughts right away.
Your body mass index (BMI) tells you when you have excess weight.
It does this by measuring your weight in kilograms and then dividing it by your height in square metres.
If the answer gives more than 30, then you have excess weight.
More so, there are other ways to know if you have excess weight.
5 ways to know if you have excess weight
- Snoring:- Once you notice that you snore excessively and wake up restless, it’s a pointer that you should check for excess weight. Snoring occurs when the airway for breathing is obstructed which is a result of the fat stored around the neck.
- Persistent Fatigue:- If you easily get tired or experience difficulty in breathing at any time you engage in little activities such as sweeping a small portion of a place or cleaning a room, then you should watch out for excess weight.
- Repeated Heartburn:- More acid flux in the system can be caused by changes in body weight. Someone with excess weight is prone to experiencing gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Waist Measurement:- Your weight also tells you if your waist is normal and good for your health. As a woman, if the circumference of your waist is over 35 inches, you should start losing excess weight. It is over 40 inches in the case of a man.
- Achy Joint:- Having excess weight will cause more pressure to be applied to the different joints in your body. The effect of the pressure opens you up to experiencing osteoarthritis which is the most common type of arthritis.
In addition to what we have discussed so far, it’s good you understand that you don’t get to start thinking of losing weight only when you have excess weight.
People embark on losing weight for different purposes which include but are not limited to meeting certain criteria required for what they are pursuing.
Now, let’s get back to the main subject matter which is losing weight without exercise. Is it even possible?
Is it just another trick to get you to read this piece?
That’s quite a good question.
Not to worry, the answer is right here.
YES, it is possible to lose weight without exercise.
I know you are happy about the answer!
I can feel your excitement!
Before we dive deep into exploring different ways to lose weight without exercise, let me quickly tell you this.
Always do your best to involve in exercise because it’s good for your health. Read about it here
6 Ways to lose weight without exercise
- Reduce the amount of food you eat per time
One of the reasons people gain excess weight is too much eating.
You must train yourself to eat moderately and not in excess if you want to lose weight.
You don’t have to jump on anything you see because you just feel like eating it.
Apply some level of discipline in controlling what you eat.
- Control how you eat at random
You can indeed be hungry even at unexpected times.
However, this should not be the reason for you to eat at random without control.
More so, I understand that it is hard to control certain cravings but then instead of eating uncontrollably, you can substitute it with taking enough fruits and always drinking sufficient water.
- Take more of foods rich in fibre
When you take more foods rich in fibre, it helps you reduce weight and improves your digestive system and bowel movement.
- Ensure to add protein to your diet
It is good to have proteins element in your diet because it fuels you up to burn some calories.
- Have sufficient sleep
It’s only normal for you to think that sleep is associated with gaining weight.
I used to think like that too. So, you are not out of place.
But, contrary to what we have always thought, sleeping sufficiently helps to manage stress hormones that activate hunger and cravings.
When you don’t take adequate sleep, the body manufactures cortisol which is a stress-related hormone that activates the body to hold on to fat.
- Drink lots of water
In your weight loss journey, taking enough water will help you stay hydrated, refreshed and energized.
To add to the six different ways to lose weight without exercise as already discussed.
It is important to bear in mind that you have to be selective with the kind of diet you take if you have resorted to losing weight without exercise.
What kind of diet should you be taking?
I will sure tell you.
Join me to explore the best diet you should be taking to enable you to lose weight.
The best Indian diet plan for weight loss
About 80% of the Indian population practice Hinduism.
This is a religion that promotes a Lacto-vegetarian or vegetarian diet.
Most people in India primarily follow a plant-based diet such as lentils, vegetables and fruits because of the health benefits.
More so, research has it that the Indian diet is the reason for a reduced risk of Alzheimer’s and chronic diseases.
This discovery is based on the belief in high consumption of fruits and vegetables and low consumption of meat.
In addition to that, a healthy plant-based Indian diet is a good source for weight loss.
What could be the make-up of this Indian diet?
The Indian diet comprises healthy foods rich in lentils, vegetables, grains, healthy fats, and fruits and dairy.
Spices such as ginger, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek and cumin are also contained in the diet because of their high nutritional value.
Amongst the spices aforementioned, turmeric has gained so much popularity because it improves brain function, makes one less prone to heart diseases, fights cancer, inflammation and bacteria.
We stated earlier that the Indian diet which is not just only beneficial to the body but also encourages weight loss comprises healthy foods rich in lentils, vegetables, grains, healthy fats, fruits and dairy.
We didn’t specifically mention what those healthy foods are.
You thought I forgot to mention them?
Maybe you did but I didn’t.
So, it’s time to tell you because I am sure you want to hear it.
The Indian healthy foods to eat
If your daily meal plan contains at least one of the foods listed below, then you are good to go.
- Fruits:- You should consume fruits such as guava, bananas, oranges, Apple, melon, pears, plums, lychee, pears, mango, tamarind, papaya, and pomegranate.
- Vegetables:- Cabbage, bitter melon, Tomatoes, okra, spinach, eggplant, onions, mustard greens, mushroom, etc.
- Protein:- Legumes, dairy, nuts and seeds.
- Herbs and spices:- Garlic, turmeric, ginger, cardamom, fenugreek, cumin, coriander, garam masala, black pepper, paprika, basil, etc.
- Whole Grains:- Brown rice, sorghum, basmati rice, bread millet, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, barley, whole-grain.
- Roots and Tubers:- Carrots, turnips, yams, sweet potatoes.
- Healthy Fats:- Full-fat dairy, avocado, coconut milk, coconut oil, mustard oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, ghee, olive oil
After you must have consumed any of the foods, what then should you use to step it down?
You can use healthy beverages such as water, unsweetened tea like Assam, Nilgiri tea and Darjeeling for the stepping down because they are low in calories and sugar.
Now, that you are knowledgeable about the kind of healthy foods to eat, it will also be good for you to know the unhealthy foods to avoid.
Unhealthy foods to avoid
Do well to reduce the high intake of the foods mentioned below or better still avoid them.
- Sweeteners like sugar, jaggery, honey, condensed milk.
- Sweetened beverages such as Soda, sweetened tea, fruit juice, sweet lassi, sports drinks.
- Sweetened sauces: ketchup, barbecue sauce, Salad dressings with added sugar, sweetened curries.
- Foods with high sugar content: Candy, ice cream, rice pudding, cookies, pastries, sweetened yoghurt, cakes, high-sugar cereals, etc.
- Foods rich in fats: Fried foods, McDonald’s, French fries, chips, bhujia.
- Refined oils: Soybean oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, corn oil.
- Trans fats: Vanaspati, margarine, highly processed foods.
It’s valid for one to find it difficult to avoid the aforementioned foods but then drastically reducing how you consume them is a sure way of maintaining good health and weight.
To sum it up, preparing a healthy weekly menu plan is a good way to start executing what you have learned in this piece.
Check here for the guide.
One more thing, to lose weight without exercise requires a great level of discipline. It is highly recommended to have an accountability partner or a coach in your journey to losing weight.
Go ahead and share in the comment section if you find this piece valuable and enjoyable.