Health tips for 2022
One certain thing that is constant as every New Year comes and goes is that you get older! This certainty alone is enough to make you take your health matter seriously.
Come to think of it, when you buy a product let’s say a car, you don’t make use of it carelessly, you would want to always maintain it for it to effectively serve its purpose at any point in time.
Now, there are two major reasons you would want to maintain the car. What are they?
- It gets older each day
- To serve its purpose effectively
The aforementioned reasons apply to your body because it is also a product and the product has to be maintained.
The purpose of this article is to show you effective health tips you can practise for healthy living.
top 6 health tips for 2022
Before we explore the tips, let me quickly remind you that it’s not enough to read this article and probably move to the next. It’s a question of execution. It’s most likely you have resolved to pay good attention to your health this year, 2022.
Kudos to you if my guess was right but then don’t forget that over about 80% of people in India don’t keep to their new year resolutions. I stated that to tell you to ensure that you are among the less than about 20% that keep theirs.
Start keeping yours by practising the health tips I will show you right away.
Get enough sleep:
How much sleep should you get? As an adult aged from 18 to 64 years, you should sleep for at least 7 hours per day.
It’s also important you maintain a regular sleeping pattern like going to bed and waking up almost at the same time every night and morning respectively. It might be challenging to keep up with such practice. It’s understandable and it happens. Consistency is hard, truth be told but then the most important thing is that you try your best to make it always happen. In a situation you fall out of schedule, don’t continue to fall out rather fall back to the practice.
Striking a balance between your work life and health is a must-do.
While at work, concentrate and do the needful.
Let work remain at the office. Don’t bring it home to interfere with your family bonding time.
Be careful about the kind of work you engage in.
It’s better to choose a work that requires 8 hours of your time and still leaves you with some strength over a work of 4 hours that saps all your energy to a point you become a nuisance at home.
Ensure you take some break while at work and most importantly when you have taken time off for some days or vacation, disconnect totally from work and focus on connecting with your family and loved ones.
Until I consciously reminded myself of the negative effects of not exercising as I advance in age, I didn’t break off from procrastinating when to start exercising.
I have a friend whose excuse for not exercising is not having time. But the truth is, his excuse is not valid and I have done my part by letting him know and encouraging him to start exercising.
The good news is that my advice to him paid off and he is grateful that exercising is gradually becoming a part of him.
One thing caught his interest while advising him and it moved him to get started.
I will tell you what I told him.
Hmm, I can see your ear lobes wide open to hear that!
Am I lying?
Let me quickly tell you before your ear falls off. Lol (lots of laughs)
I told him that he doesn’t necessarily have to go to the gym or field because he said those places are far from his house. All he needs to do is to block out at least 10 to 15 minutes daily to exercise in his room.
I went ahead to recommend buying a training set of tummy trimmers that contains a handgrip, skipping rope and tummy trimmer. He took my recommendation, began his exercise journey and now he is glad that exercise is part of his daily activities. Not only that, he confesses that his body feels good.
What am I trying to say in essence, be like that my friend, you will be glad at the end of the day?
Drink enough water:
The first thing you should take note of before it runs off my head is to always take more water when you sleep less than the usual time duration. It helps you avoid dehydration because it’s during the sleeping time that the hormone (antidiuretic) that controls the water conservation of the body is released. This simply means that you become more dehydrated when you sleep less of the usual time duration.
How often should you drink water in a day?
It is recommended that you take about 15.5 cups (3.7 litres) of fluid as a man per day while as a woman, you should take about 11.5 cups (2.7 litres) per day.
Eat veggies always:
You don’t have to narrow your food to veggies only when you want to lose weight. Generally, it improves one’s health status.
Veggies rich in fibre are crucial for strong veins and a healthy heart. Citrus fruits rich in vitamin C are not left out. Fruits like Orange, Clementine or grapefruit help in collagen production. Ensure you eat them regularly so that dry skin and wrinkles will flee from you.
Go for a medical examination at least once a year:
Make it a habit to go for an overall medical examination at least once a year. Don’t wait until you are sick. Some sicknesses can be caught early and get treated. How will the sickness (es) be caught early? It’s simply through a medical examination.
Why do I perceive that you are probably saying it’s a waste of money to go for a medical examination without being sick?
All I can tell you is to die such a thought because PREVENTION IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN CURE!
You have my accolades for reading to this point. I am sure you are enjoying it. Join me as I go further to streamline these health tips because we’ve been discussing them on a general note.
Let’s narrow it down and talk about the health tips for mental stability, heart and eyes.
Mental Health tips for 2022
Let’s look at 4 mental health tips that will help you maintain your sanity.
- Learn to forgive at all times: Do all it takes to do away with negative vibes and feelings, anger, bitterness because they cause anxiety, stress and depression. When you occupy your mind with positive vibes like creating room for compassion, empathy and understanding, you will experience peace of mind and live healthier.
- Pay attention to self-compassion while improving yourself: You might have made resolutions, set plans and goals to improve yourself but then don’t forget that all may not work out as planned because life events are inevitable. Being self-compassionate will help you stay strong and courageous when life events are negative towards you.
- Set your boundaries and keep them: Sticking to your boundaries is vital to your emotional well-being and healthy relationships. It also helps one to prioritise rightly.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help: If you are a type that finds it difficult to ask for help, then you have to adjust because when you speak up about the issues you have to friends, families and anyone else you deem fit, you are most like to receive help.
Heart health tips for 2022
See the 5 things you are to do in 2022 to ensure a healthy heart;
- Engage in exercise: Exercises that involve high intensity and strength training are very good for the heart. If you find such exercises very difficult, you can start by going for an afternoon walk because it is healthy for the heart.
- Drastically reduce the intake of animal protein and processed meat. Eat more lean cuts of meat, seafood and plant protein. See the list of healthy heart foods here.
- Have a plan in place: While making plans of what to buy, include healthy heart items like whole-grain and anti-inflammatory foods. Ensure to always include healthy heart items in the weekly meal plan.
- Take a break when necessary: Do not allow yourself to be overly stressed because it’s not good for the heart. Always find time to rest. You can as well take a walk to cool your head or play with your pet.
- Take one step at a time: Do not do everything at once. Take it bit by bit. Arrange your plans in a way that you have breaks in between to enable stretch yourself and cool off.
Tips for healthy eyes
- Wear sunglasses: When you wear sunglasses, it prevents 99 -100% of both UV-A and UV-B radiation. Sun exposure can increase the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking is harmful to the optic nerve and increases the risk of age-related diseases.
- Rest your eyes at intervals: While using your phone or computer, ensure that every 20 minutes, you take your eyes off about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds. It is called the 20-20-20 rule.
- Eat healthily: Fish high in omega-3 fatty acids such as tuna, salmon and halibut are good for the eyes. Also, eat plenty of fruits, deep yellow and green leafy vegetables.
- Maintain good body weight: If you are overweight, you are prone to developing diabetes and diabetes makes you vulnerable to glaucoma or diabetic retinopathy.
- Check your family medical history: It is vital you find out if eye issues are associated with your lineage. It will help you take preventive measures early enough.
So far, we have been able to discuss different health tips that will help you stay strong in 2022.
Your job now is to put into practice all you’ve learnt.
To sum it up, ensure to check our health and fitness blog to know more